Aurora Military Program Mission Statement:
To restore the mental well-being of military personnel and return our service men and women back to active duty with the highest level of functioning, optimizing mission performance and conserving fighting strength.
We will accomplish this by providing the highest level of care, utilizing specialized trained staff, and offering a variety of evidence based treatment modalities that specifically address the unique needs of each individual.
For those who have dedicated their lives to serving our country, the normal trials of everyday life are now compounded with challenges many active duty members face as a result of deployment cycles and military lifestyle. Through the use of evidence based treatment modalities, coordination and collaboration with other industry thought leaders in academia, research and treatment (Veterans Administration Centers of Excellence, University of California at San Diego, San Diego State University, US Army, US Marine Corps, US Navy, US Air Force). Aurora San Diego as enjoyed and a long history of serving active duty service members. Aurora Behavioral Health Care San Diego is the proven leader in specialized outcome driven care for Active Duty service members. Our specialized Military Program provides services to service members (deployed and non-deployed) working through a myriad of issues including:
- PTSD (Combat-related, Military Sexual Trauma, Childood Truama, Domestic Violence)
- Acute Stress Disorder
- Co-occurring (PTSD/Substance Abuse) Disorders
- Combat and Operational Stress
- Chronic Pain
- Substance Abuse Disorders
- Suicidal and Homicidal Ideation
- Mood Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Units dedicated to Active Duty service members
- Dedicated Psychiatrists exclusively for service members (daily consultation)
- Specialized Military Case Managers/Liaisons
- Daily Group Therapy including: Process, CBT, DBT Skills, ACT, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Family Therapy
- Equine Facilitated Learning
- Therapuetic Invivo Outings
- Individual Therapy multiple times per week including: Prolonged Exposure Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, EMDR, Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Individual Substance Abuse Counseling multiple times per week: Seeking Safety, Disease Concept, Step Study, Spirituality
- Yoga & Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction
- Chronic Pain Management
- Physical Fitness Program/Nutrition Counseling
- Medical Detox
- Adjunctive Therapies (expressive therapies, physical exercise)
- Assessments: PCL-M, PSQ I, BDI II, DAPS, Full Battery Psychological Testing
- Outcome Measures
- Structured interviews and outcome/follow-up studies - 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, 24 months post discharge
We do this by offering a full spectrum of inpatient services in a warm, inviting atmosphere where patients actively participate in their own treatment. Aurora San Diego’s campus is situated on five beautifully landscaped acres and provides a variety of amenities such as a gymnasium, weight training equipment, cardio equipment, tennis court, basketball courts, and a swimming pool.
A 12-bed unit within our hospital with semi-private rooms is dedicated to the care of active duty service members. Service members create a community within the hospital in which they relate and provide support to one another in a therapeutic setting.
Our highly trained staff has received specialized training from subject matter experts, thought leaders and creators of evidence based treatments and continue to participate in national conferences on the treatment of PTSD and combat operational stress. Most importantly, our military unit staff has chosen to work on this unit as they have a passion for working with military personnel.
All clients and referring professionals work with one identified MIlitary Case Manager who coordinates all aspects of care. This Military Case Manager is the conduit for communication with the referring providers, nurse case managers and the chain of command to develop an uninterruped transition of care back to the Military Treatment Facility and to the command.
Our ultimate goal is to provide a safe and nurturing environment where our patients can begin their road to recovery.
Help is only a phone call away. Aurora is where healing starts and the road to recovery begins.
We accept admissions 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For more information, please contact April Barnett, PsyD at 858-675-4295. If calling after hours, please contact our 24/7 Patient Services Helpline at 858-675-4228 or Dr. Barnett directly at 858-349-8023.