GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB: To facilitate the flow of information associated with the unit's operation, to provide clerical support to the unit team.
- Participates in mandatory orientation and training activities.
- Serve as unit receptionist; answer telephone, screening and routing calls and taking and routing messages; place calls as assigned.
- Type various correspondence and documents for unit staff; photocopy and distribute as necessary.
- Maintain files and records related to the effective operation of the unit (e.g., patient charts, forms, correspondence, time cards or time sheets, logs, etc.).
- Process physicians' orders and schedule procedures.
- Sort and distribute or route unit mail.
- Participate in hospital emergency codes necessary to the unit's and hospital's safe operation.
- Assist staff in admitting and orienting new patients.
- Process patients' ancillary charges.
- Assists staff in daily unit operational needs.
- Participates in activities which enhance professional growth and development.
- Demonstrates conduct in keeping with Aurora ethical standards.
- Complies with facility safety, infection control and security program.
- Supports facility internal and external customer service standards.
QUALIFICATIONS AT ENTRY:
High school diploma or equivalent, with high school level reading, writing, and basic math skills; telephone etiquette and sound English usage bills; skills in producing business correspondence and documents, typing, filing, and basic office equipment operation skills; legible writing; office organization and time management skills; flexibility regarding schedule; customer service/interpersonal skills; familiarity with basic medical terminology and hospital procedures helpful; detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines; required to be trained in proper response to combative or hostile patients; must have valid AHA CPR certification, able to stay on task amidst noise and distractions and able to handle information as strictly confidential.