Essential Duties: To support the Medical Records department through a variety of clerical, technical and related support services.
- Provides good customer service to internal and external customers and represents the facility in a positive manor.
- Protects the release of patient information; photocopies records.
- Maintains up-to-date logbooks on various components.
- Processes release of information requests.
- Prepares and assembles discharged charts.
- Sets up medical records on admitting patients.
- Complies with all established hospital policies and procedures.
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience in health information management.
- Typing, filing and record-keeping and record coding skills; work organization, prioritization and time management skills.
- Must be familiar with medical and psychiatric terminology.
- Experience with ICD-10-CM coding & procedures and use of DSM V are helpful.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Understanding of medical transcription.
- Knowledge of Psychiatric and Substance abuse records in regards to HIPAA, California
- Knowledge of JCAHO, privacy laws and California Title 22.
- Good communication skills both written and oral, including command of the English language and proper use of grammar and alphabetizing skills.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and controls the release of information.
- Proficient in use of all general office equipment including computers. Also proficient with using Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook software.
Standing, stooping, walking, bending 25%; sitting 75% of time. Manual dexterity required. Requires ability to lift 25 lbs. Must be able to identify colors accurately. Must have extensive or considerable data entry and/or keyboarding experience.